The Raleigh area and the Triangle region have experienced record high temperatures of late, and it seems that the steamy 90’s are here to stay as we head into July and August. This unseasonably hot weather can make even the beach and pool uncomfortable, and it deters jogging and bike riding as well. Even the daily duty of taking the dog for a walk has to happen early in the day. However, exercising outdoors in the summer has many benefits, and if it’s enjoyable, why skip it? There are ways to manage the heat to our benefit.
For those who aren’t scared off by the triple-digit heat index, here are five essential tips from our personal trainers that will help everyone stay safe and comfortable. Our members will like this checklist from Fit for Life 24 in Apex:
- Stay hydrated: Perspiration (the body’s natural cooling system) keeps the body temperature at safe levels. When exposed to high temperatures for too long, it can fail, resulting in heat exhaustion. Stay hydrated before, during, and after exercise by sipping water every few minutes.
- Time it right: Avoid the hottest part of the day by working out in the early morning or later in the evening. If mid day is the only available time for an exercise session, try to stay in the shade. Better yet, cool off in the pool with swimming laps or water aerobics.
- Dress appropriately: Avoid dark colors, which absorb heat. Instead, opt for loose, airy styles in light colors, which will allow air to circulate over the body.
- Snack strategically: Steer clear of dry snacks like crackers, popcorn, and even energy bars. These all require the body to add water, giving dehydration an edge. Pick a juicy snack (like watermelon or other fruit) that will increase hydration while giving a burst of energy.
- Know the limits: It’s ok to take it easy once in a while, so don’t fret about not finishing that five-mile run. Listen to your body and head inside right away if symptoms like a rapid heartbeat, dizziness, weakness, or nausea appear.
Of course, the best way to beat the heat is by working out indoors and we never close. Check our hours for the times are personal trainers at Fit For Life 24 in Apex are available to assist with cardio, weight training, and more; all from the cool comfort of our state of the art fitness facility.
Ready to take a break from the heat while doing something good for your body and mind? Stop in to Fit For Life 24 in Apex today!
This article on both fitness and opportunity is brought to you by the AWESOME team at Apex Fit for Life 24 located in Historic Apex NC. Contact us below. Please LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on our Twitter Page!
We are your fitness choice in the Triangle!
Apex Fit for Life 24
809 Perry Road
Perry Pointe Plaza
Apex NC 27502
919 629 6212
Photo Credit: a454, freedigitalphotos.net