Swimsuit season and the warm beach weather of North Carolina are almost here. As the Triangle days get longer (and warmer), many people are ramping up their fitness routines in anticipation of showing off their trim, toned physiques at one of the Tar Heel State’s many beautiful beaches. Weight training is a great way to add the definition that many people are after, but is often misunderstood. The personal trainers at Fit For Life 24 in Apex want to dispel some of the myths surrounding weight training.
From Fit for Life 24 in Apex, NC, here are five important factors to know:
- Myth #1: Weight training is only for people who want to “bulk up”: This is perhaps the most common misunderstanding, especially for women. In fact, weight training can definitely be used to achieve long lean muscles.
- Myth #2: Weight training won’t burn fat: Muscle weighs more than fat, so it’s possible that the number on the scale will increase as muscle is added. Weight training also increases metabolism, helping to burn fat long after a workout ends.
- Myth #3: Muscle will turn to fat if you stop weight training: It is physically impossible for muscle to turn into fat, and vice versa. Muscle tone will diminish, but it is still muscle.
- Myth #4: Weight training requires a lot of equipment: Using dumbbells and weight machines are ways to conduct resistance training. Yet, using the body’s own weight is just as effective.
- Myth #5: Isolating one muscle group per session is the best way to weight train: This is sometimes true, but mostly if body-building is the goal. Interval training, circuit training, and compound exercises that mimic a natural range of motion are more effective for most Fit for Life members.
Weight training doesn’t only improve a person’s physique, it’s also good for the heart, and helps to increase bone density. To reap the benefits, consider adding a well-rounded strength routine to an existing workout two and three times per week.
Do you want to be better informed about any aspect of exercise before hitting the gym? The staff at Fit For Life 24 can help. Give us a call today!
This article on both fitness and opportunity is brought to you by the AWESOME team at Apex Fit for Life 24 located in Historic Apex NC. Contact us below. Please LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on our Twitter Page!
We are your fitness choice in the Triangle!
Apex Fit for Life 24
809 Perry Road
Perry Pointe Plaza
Apex NC 27502
919 629 6212
Photo Credit: Ambro, freedigitalphotos.net